Gainsborough’s House Print Workshop welcomes artists and students from all over Britain and Europe to work with expert and enthusiastic tutors. Our professional studio, one of the best facilities of its kind in the country, is proud of the quality of its summer programme and we are delighted that Dale Devereux Barker and Annabel Ridley will again be leading courses this year.
Dale Devereux Barker’s work demonstrates his enjoyment and mastery of printmaking techniques. Full of colour and wit, Dale’s work features in numerous public and private collections and he is a sought after printmaking tutor who encourages creativity and experiment.
Dale’s lively and ambitious summer course explores all aspects of printmaking with lino including etching and printing with found objects as well as more traditional approaches. Working in a positive and spontaneous atmosphere, course participants achieve a range of lively and well-made results.
Annabel Ridley’s screen prints, often on a large scale, are also valued by both public and individual collectors. Annabel combines processes to produce rich and varied prints, layering colour and images to create visual depth. The course Annabel leads uses photo stencils in combination with hand cut and drawn methods. Students work with a variety of materials combining text, images and layered areas to express their own visual concepts. Compatible with digital processes, the techniques taught can be applied to a variety of surfaces.
Both Annabel and Dale are respected in their fields and showing Annabel’s screen prints
and Dale’s linocuts together demonstrates the flexibility and fascination of printmaking
skills. Prints are available to order and for more information call 01787 372958.
Image top: Dale Devereux Barker, Watching the Tree, Linocut
Image above: Annable Riley, Meadow, Screenprint
Thomas Gainsborough (1727-88) was born in Sudbury and baptised at the Independent Meeting-House in Friars Street on 14 May 1727, the fifth son and ninth child of John and Mary Gainsborough. In 1958, Gainsborough’s House Society was formed to purchase the house and establish it as a centre for Thomas Gainsborough. The Museum opened to the public in 1961 and has remained open for over 50 years. The beautiful historic garden at the heart of Gainsborough’s House is maintained by a devoted body of volunteers, who garden exclusively with plants that were available in Gainsborough’s lifetime.
Gainsborough’s House Society , Charity No. 1170048 and Company Limited by Guarantee No. 10413978