This exhibition in our Lift Gallery, displays a group of three pastel drawings and can be attributed with some certainty to the talented draughtswoman Lady Helena Rawdon, née Perceval (1717–46). They were originally presented en suite with a rare image of a female pastellist at work, possibly depicting Lady Helena herself. Accompanying the portrait of A Sybil, this display includes copies of the Four Seasons made by Lady Helena after the Venetian Rococo painter Rosalba Giovana Carriera (1673–1757), entitled Winter and Summer.
Thomas Gainsborough (1727-88) was born in Sudbury and baptised at the Independent Meeting-House in Friars Street on 14 May 1727, the fifth son and ninth child of John and Mary Gainsborough. In 1958, Gainsborough’s House Society was formed to purchase the house and establish it as a centre for Thomas Gainsborough. The Museum opened to the public in 1961 and has remained open for over 50 years. The beautiful historic garden at the heart of Gainsborough’s House is maintained by a devoted body of volunteers, who garden exclusively with plants that were available in Gainsborough’s lifetime.
Gainsborough’s House Society , Charity No. 1170048 and Company Limited by Guarantee No. 10413978