Gainsborough's House, the museum and gallery at the birthplace of Thomas Gainsborough
The house that is now 46 Gainsborough Street dates back to around 1520. Thomas Gainsborough's parents, John and Mary Gainsborough, probably moved here in 1722 and the artist Thomas Gainsborough was born five years later.
Thomas Gainsborough, the youngest of nine children, lived in the house and attended Sudbury Grammar School. At 13 he went to London to further his studies training with the French painter and illustrator, Hubert-Francois Gravelot.
The house remained as a private residence until 1920 after which time it had various functions including guesthouse, and antique shop. In 1958 Gainsborough's House Society was formed to purchase the house and establish it as a Museum and monument to Gainsborough. The Museum opened to the public in 1961.
From the outset of his career Thomas Gainsborough painted both portraits and landscapes. Read More.
The oldest visible part of the house is the oak doorway into the entrance room, which could date back to 1490. Read More.
The campaign to raise the funds to purchase Thomas Gainsborough's birthplace began in 1956. Read More.